I previously did a post about the many health benefits and uses of raw apple cider vinegar (ACV), but I just came across this article by Swanson that lists some uses even I wasn’t aware of, plus it includes a couple of healthy recipes and links to related resources, so here’s a great introduction to (or reminder about, if you happen to already be an ACV fan) this simple-to-use, inexpensive, almost miraculous self-help health aid….
40 Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar: weight loss booster, all-purpose cleaner, upset stomach-fixer. A popular kitchen staple, apple cider vinegar (ACV) dates back to ancient times. It’s said to have been used by Hippocrates as a health tonic and by American soldiers to combat indigestion, pneumonia and scurvy.
While times may have changed just a bit, ACV is still a versatile, well-known item in many homes. One of the most popular and highest-rated varieties is from Bragg. Or, you can even make your own variety at home with this recipe for Home Made Apple Cider Vinegar.
There are tons of ways to incorporate ACV into your daily routine, as you’ll see below and in the comments from Facebook fans (near the end of the post). One of the most popular ways to add ACV to your diet, specifically, is by making a tea or other drink. For example, check out this recipe for homemade Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar Ginger Spice Drink.
Check out all of the awesome and creative ways to add more ACV to your life, and let us know if you have any other creative uses!
Top 20 Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar:
– Use ACV in place of balsamic vinegar in salad dressing. (See below for an awesome salad dressing recipe!)
– Add to your morning smoothie, but be careful—it has a pretty strong taste, so add a little to begin.
– Use it as a facial toner.
– Helps with upset stomach—holds antibiotic properties and pectin which soothe the stomach. Try this “Digestion Mocktail” with ACV and ginger. (Ginger is also known for its stomach-soothing properties. Learn more here.)
– Stop cats from biting cords around the house—rub a bit on a cotton ball and onto the cord every 4-5 days.
– Use ACV in your bath. Add ½- 1 cup to your bath water along with Epsom salts and lavender essential oil for a relaxing and detoxifying bath.
– Get rid of hiccups—the sour taste of a straight teaspoon can stop hiccups.
– Clear a stuffy nose by mixing a teaspoon in a glass of water and drinking.
– Make a fruit fly trap—Put a thin layer of ACV in a cup with a drop of dish soap. Set it out on the counter and the fruit flies will (hopefully) fly in and get stuck.
– Get rid of cat urine smell—add it to the laundry when you wash the clothing, blanket, etc.
– Get rid of bad breath—add ½ Tablespoon to a cup of water, and gargle for 10 seconds at a time until the cup is empty.
– Beat exercise exhaustion—lactic acid buildup in the body causes fatigue, while the amino acids in ACV act as an antidote. Add a tablespoon to a glass of water after a workout.
– Fight yeast infections—add 1 ½ cup to a bathtub of water and soak for 20 minutes.
– Create shiny, untangled and dandruff-free hair by adding 1/3 cup ACV to 4 cups of water and pour over your hair after shampooing. Leave on for a few seconds and rinse with cold water.
– Use it as a *teeth whitener by gargling with it every morning. The vinegar helps remove stains and kill bacteria in the mouth and gums.
*Be careful, since ACV is acidic and could damage tooth enamel if held in the mouth too long.
– Get rid of acne—mix one part ACV to 3-4 parts water. Apply to skin with a cotton pad, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse. Repeat three times a day.
– Wart removal—place a cotton pad soaked in ACV on top, and secure it with a bandage. Leave on overnight, repeating for a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing Recipe
I found this awesome recipe for Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Vinaigrette Dressing, and decided to give it a try. Really, any combination of these ingredients would make a great salad, so feel free to adjust the recipe to your taste!
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cheese of your choice
- Combine vinegar, water, honey, salt and pepper in a blender.
- Drizzle olive oil into blender until combined.
- Combine dressing & toppings; serve.
20 More Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar…
When we asked our Facebook fans how they like to use apple cider vinegar, we got tons of comments! Many of them were about drinking it in the morning with a glass of water. Other highlights include:
- A Tblsp each morning along with a Tblsp of blackstrap molasses in some warm water. seems to help with my allergies and I am hoping lowering my cholesteral. The molasses is for the iron and other good stuff. Also helps with the taste ~ Jeanne Giesen L.
- I love to make “buttermilk” by souring my rice milk to make yummy stuff like Cornbread or biscuits (Gluten Free and Dairy Free). ~ Amy O.H.
- Mixed with sparking water; very refreshing and good for the liver ~ Louise F.
- I have a multitude of uses for this product. I use it to fight fleas on my doggie, using it diluted with water as a final leave in rinse. I put a few drops in her water, fleas hate it. I add a few drops to my bottled water that I take to the gym as a fat burner and it also seems to enhance the taste of the water, encouraging me to drink more. I sprinkle it over my foods, to get rid of the chicken smell of chicken and enhance the flavors of other foods. I use the regular distilled vinegar as a toner, it is a little less expensive. ~ Carol Z.
- I use it to rinse my dreads. It works great to clean your scalp and remove build up ~ Alysha C.
- I take mine twice a day with distilled water honey and cayenne pepper. I use it my salad dressings. I use it for a hair rinse and a facial toner. ~ Robin B.
- Two tablespoons every morning and evening when I feel an UTI coming on. ~ Angie C.
- Marinate my steak with it. ~ Rick B.
- This makes my home made tomato juice really tangy every morning! YUM ~ Kay B.
- Cook I use it with my cucumbers and onions (with some mayo)…makes a great cucumber salad! ~ Audra P.
- In water with a packet of stevia each day and a T to a cup of chamomile tea water as a rinse for my hair following a rinse of 1 T baking soda to 1 cup of water. No need of shampoo… ~Jaime L.
- I use it in my smoothies…. ~ Jo Ann G.
- I mix it with honey for a sore throat ~ Georgia L.
- I LOVE this stuff!! I put a cap ful into my raw rice before cooking and its nice and fluffy. No vinegar taste!! ~ Jody W.
- Allergies, sinus infection & woman issues! ~ Sarah M.
- To stop hiccups…. One capful usually works ~ Carroll S.
- Anywhere it calls for vinegar ~ Patricia F.
- On sunburns to help them heal faster and as a hair/ scalp rinse to make it shinier and more manageable and control dandruff. It also helps with indigestion and just tastes delicious on salads and in soups. My mom started us using it as the home-remefy treatment choice for nearly every ailment. ~ Diane C.
- It is a great hair detangler, facial toner, internal cleanser, fruit and vege wash, salad spritz…..I love this stuff! ~ Mandy E.
- When I am coming down with a cold or when I have leg cramps I rub it straight on my legs and within a few m ins the cramping has calmed down. ~ Marleen I.
Related Self-help Health post:
Of course you can get raw ACV at your local health food or on-line at Swanson. One of my favorite places to shop is iHerb.com; use code CJG192 if you are a new customer and spend more than $40 and you will get $10 off ($5 off under $40), plus can take advantage of their wonderful Specials and Trial Offers sections. Shipping is free on orders of $20 and up, and there’s no sales tax. There’s an extra 5% off on orders over $60.
Vitacost.com is another on-line favorite of mine; if you are new to Vitacost and make your first purchase of $25 or more through the link on my new webpage you will receive a $10 off coupon. And if you plan on shopping again after that, be sure to sign up for a free acct. at eBates.com, if you don’t already have one. That way you can use the eBates portal to shop at Vitacost (and 100s of other popular stores) and earn cash back on your purchases. Plus, eBates also offers some reward–I got a $10 gift card–when you place your first $25 order at a store through them. How does it get any better than that?!
p.s. Be sure to subscribe to Self-help Health so you don’t miss any future posts, and tell your friends to do the same. Also check out my website’s To Your Health page and Evolution Made Easier blog for more helpful health tips, tools and information.
Disclaimer: Please note that any information here is provided as a guideline only, and is not meant to substitute for the advice of your physician, nutritionist, trained healthcare practitioner, and/or inner guidance system. Always consult a professional before undertaking any change to your normal health routine
8 thoughts on “More On That Wonder Aid ACV!”
This is the best website I have ever visited. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!