Here we go with another post where I give you multiple short self-help tips, rather than feature information on one particular topic….Hope you find these informative and useful!
# 1 – This first tip from the Floracopeia blog is actually multiple tips in one, but then it has to do with coconut oil, so that’s not surprising. I’ve done a number of posts about this wonderful health aid, but this tip does a good job of reminding us of some of its main uses and benefits….
- Health and Beauty Food: There are well documented advantages for including coconut and coconut oil in your diet. It supports a healthy inflammatory response, purifies the digestive tract, works to balance the microflora in the intestinal tract, nourishes the connective tissue, and lubricates the joints to name a small few. It’s a great addition to smoothies, healthy treats and is superior for baking, frying and sautéing.
- Best Coconut, Turmeric Golden Milk: In a blender, combine 2 cups of warm to hot (but not boiling) water, 1 TBSP of our coconut oil, 3/4 cup of coconut milk powder, 1 heaping TBSP of organic turmeric powder (or 1 inch peeled fresh), 1 inch peeled fresh ginger root, and pinch of sea salt. Blend for approximately 2 minutes on high. Pour into a mug. Add raw honey or stevia powder as desired. You can strain the ‘milk’ for increased creaminess and smooth texture.
- Hair Masque: The good fats in coconut oil are hydrating and protective against damage. It can increase the overall health of the hair, contributing to enhanced shine and luster. One study shows it has some minor benefits as a sunscreen, blocking approximately 15% of the sun’s ultraviolet rays (great for color treated hair). Restorative Overnight Hair Masque: Apply 1-2 TBPS of coconut oil onto dry hair, making sure to totally saturate the ends. Lay a hand towel over the pillow to protect it from the oil. Wash out in the morning with a hydrating, gentle shampoo. A very small amount (size of a pencil eraser) can be used on dry ends to defrizz, hydrate and boost luster.
- Superior Gum Serum and Oil Pulling Agent: Coconut oil is purifying and nourishing for the teeth and gums, wonderful for tackling existing challenges and preventing future problems. To soothe angry gums and purify the entire mouth, apply to gums as needed. It can be used as an oil pulling agent. Use 1 TBPS (or more) of coconut oil to ‘pull’ through the teeth to mechanically remove debris and pathogenic factors from hard to reach places between the teeth.
# 2 – It’s important to understand what the sticker on your favorite fruit or
veggie means. Here’s a breakdown: 9 is organic, 8 is GMO, 4 is conventional, and 3 is irradiated.
# 4 – Here’s a trick for ripening an avocado pronto from Pure Wow!
Don’t settle for the store-bought stuff–here’s a foolproof trick to making avocados soft and creamy in minutes.
What you need: A baking sheet, tinfoil and that hard-as-a-rock avocado
What you do: Wrap the whole fruit in tinfoil and set it on the baking sheet. Pop it in the oven at 200°F for ten minutes, or until the avocado is soft (depending on how hard it is, it could take up to an hour to soften). Remove it from the oven, then put your soft, ripe avocado into the fridge until it cools.
Why this works: Avocados produce ethylene gas, which is typically released slowly, causing the fruit to ripen. But as the avocado bakes in tinfoil, the gas surrounds it, putting the ripening process into hyper-drive. Guac and avocado toast for all!
# 5 – Got a canker sore? Try this remedy from a Natural News article about using that wonderful, multi-purpose health aid baking soda…..
A simple way to use baking soda for canker sores is gargling with a mixture of baking soda and tepid water. Do it twice per day for a relief. Baking soda treats canker sores in several ways:
- It helps reduce the acid level that irritates the pain caused by canker sore;
- It helps reduce the swelling and inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory properties;
- It helps kill the bacteria and cure infections thanks to the anti-bacteria, anti-fungal and anti-septic properties;
- It also helps balance the pH levels of the mouth and get rid of the infections away from the mouth
Related Self-help Health Post: Baking Soda: Multi-purpose Health, Home & Beauty Aid
# 6 – A quick tip from WellnessMama.com using witch hazel as a hair treatment…..
Witch hazel can be used as a pre-shampoo treatment to add shine and diminish the appearance of frizz. Add some to a spray bottle, spray all over dry hair and then hop in the shower.
# 7 – According to an article from Easy Health Options along with turmeric, red grapes, green tea, and acai berries, onions are one of the top 5 inflammation fighting foods….
It turns out that, due to their polyphenol content, onions are more effective inflammation fighters than a lot of other vegetables, including broccoli, spinach, asparagus and red lettuce. However, red onions contain more polyphenols than yellow onions, so keep that in mind next time you’re picking out your produce. And speaking of red onions, try this easy recipe from Wellness Mama:
Simple Pickled Red Onions Recipe (In Less Than 5 Minutes)
- 1 medium size red onion
- ½ cup (plus a little extra) white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: Other seasonings like 1 teaspoon chili powder or garlic powder for flavor
- Thinly slice the onions, leaving them in rings for easy use.
- Carefully place the rings into a pint size jar and sprinkle with the salt and other seasonings.
- Pour the vinegar over the rings to fill the jar and put the lid on.
- Leave at room temperature for two hours so flavors can meld.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for up to two weeks (though ours are usually gone in a couple of days!)
Personal Note: This has become one of my favorite things to have on hand. Love that it is so easy and quick to make and the pickled onions add a zip of flavor to so many different things….salads, sandwiches, entrees, stir-fries, etc. In fact, I just finished making a new batch; I usually use part organic ACV and part organic red wine vinegar, plus add some sprigs of whatever fresh herbs I happen to have on hand….parsley, cilantro, rosemary, basil and/or thyme. You could also make in decorative jars and give away as nice little surprises to your foodie friends!
Related Self-help Health post: Let’s Hear It For Red Onions!
# 8 – Want to know if your body is more acidic or more alkaline? Here’s a simple experiment from The Alternative Daily you can do to find out….
Are You Acidic or Alkaline? Take the Sour Lemon Test
Squeeze the juice from one-half of a fresh, organic lemon into eight ounces of purified, lukewarm water and drink it on an empty stomach.While you’re drinking it, notice the taste of the lemon water. If it has a strong sour taste, your body is very acidic. If it’s not sour at all, or even tastes like lemonade to you (without the sugar), your body is in a healthier, more alkaline state.
Now, depending on a) your ratio of lemon juice to water; b) body’s level of acidity; and c) consistency in daily intake, the “taste” of lemon water should eventually not be sour at all.
Related Self-help Health post: The All-important pH Factor
–# 9 -How to keep basil fresh for 2 weeks……
From homemade pesto to caprese salad to infused water, basil is a quintessential culinary accoutrement. But as wonderful as this herb is, it’s also a pain in the butt. After a day or two in the fridge, it’s usually brown and wilted. Luckily, we discovered a trick for prolonging its shelf life. Follow these simple steps and you’ll have fresh basil for up to two weeks.
What you need: Kitchen shears, a glass or mason jar and a plastic bag (Ziploc or grocery bags work fine).
What you do: Trim the bottoms of the basil stems under running water (just like you would with flowers). Put the bunch in a glass of water, then drape a plastic bag loosely over the leaves. Leave it out on your countertop.
Why you do it: It’s not exactly as chic as a bouquet of peonies, but this arrangement allows the basil to breathe (it enables the plant to release the ethylene gas that usually causes the leaves to shrivel and brown) while keeping a humid environment inside the plastic bag. It’s almost like a mini greenhouse. Oh, and an extra bonus—it makes your kitchen smell amazing.
# 10 – The Awakening from Alzheimer’s event recently started and you can still catch many of the presentations…..
Wednesday, September 21st – World Alzheimer’s Day – with the premiere of the groundbreaking new video series, Awakening from Alzheimer’s!
Over 12 days, 14 expert doctors will share groundbreaking medical and nutritional information on how to reverse Alzheimer’s and dementia and prevent it from ever happening to you.
These experts are on the cutting edge of Alzheimer’s breakthroughs and are blazing the trail to stop this terrible and costly disease in its tracks, and it’s totally free!
Here’s what you can expect to discover during this video series:
- How medications can create FALSE Alzheimer’s symptoms
- The superfood that can reverse Alzheimer’s
- How a ketogenic diet can help your brain function again
- How one protocol can reverse your Alzheimer’s
- How to spot Alzheimer’s risk before symptoms even occur
- The link between sleep and Alzheimer’s
- And much more!
Related Self-help Health post: Natural Ways To Treat Alzheimer’s
# 11 – And today’s last tip is another free resource that’s coming up soon…..
Dr. Tom O’Bryan has been traveling the world interviewing over 75 autoimmunity experts for his upcoming 7-part documentary movie event, The Betrayal Series.
SEVEN movies in fact, co-starring familiar faces like Drs. Sara Gottfried, Mark Hyman, Datis Kharrazian, Dan Kalish, Hyla Cass, and Jill Carnahan, as well as JJ Virgin, Jeffrey Smith, and Joel Salatin.
Not only does The Betrayal Series include the scientists, experts, and doctors researching and treating autoimmunity, but it also features real patients who have recovered from autoimmune conditions. You can see it for yourself beginning next Tuesday, September 27th and it’s free!. Click below to the watch the trailer and get signed up.
Some of the previous Self-help Health Tips posts:
p.s. Be sure to give Self-help Health a follow so you don’t miss out on future posts. Also check out the To Your Health page at my website Evolution Made Easier and my other blog for more helpful information, tips, tools and resources.
Disclaimer: Please not that any information provided here is as a guideline only, and not meant to substitute for the advice of your physician, nutritionist, trained healthcare practitioner, or inner guidance system. Always consult a professional before undertaking any change to your normal health routine.