Well, we’re actually about to leave spring behind here in the eastern US, but these detox tips from Sandhiya Ramaswamy would be good no matter what time of the year it is. When I read what the tips were, I was pleased to note that I’ve already done individual posts on most of them that you can refer to for more in-depth information….
5 Ayurvedic Detox Tips for Spring
To maintain health and balance in the long run, however, Ayurveda also recommends a daily detox protocol. If you don’t yet have one, spring is the best time to put one in place. Incorporate these five detox tips into your daily life to feel lighter and energized as you head into the warmer months.
Scrape Your Tongue
Use a tongue scraper first thing in the morning, before you brush your teeth. Ayurveda recommends tongue scraping to help boost the health of the oral cavity, including the teeth and sinuses, and to aid digestion. Digestion begins in the mouth as saliva mixes with the food and breaks it down. An excessively thick coating indicates the presence of Ama or toxins in the digestive system. Use a high-quality U- or V-shaped stainless steel or copper tongue scraper.
How to use a traditional tongue scraper:
- Hold each end with your hands and reach the arch to the back of your tongue, going as far back as possible without gagging.
- Scrape forward several times, rinsing the white film off of the scraper between each scraping. Be gentle but firm as you scrape.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Clean and dry your scraper with water. You may want to occasionally use baking soda to disinfect.
Related SHH post: Tongue Scraping: It Offers More Benefits Than I Realized!
Drink Warm Water With Lemon
Start your morning with a glass of hot water and the juice of half a lemon or lime. This will cleanse your digestive tract and perhaps initiate a bowel movement (if you don’t normally eliminate first thing in the morning) to the get the toxins out of your digestive tract. The sour taste will enkindle the digestive fire or Agni setting you up for good digestion and metabolism first thing in the morning.
Related SHH post: Lemon Water: Better Than Lemonade!
Use Herbs and Spices to Improve Digestion and Metabolism
Drink warm herbal teas throughout the day. Cinnamon, ginger, fennel, and mint are good options. You should also cook your food with liberal doses of herbs and spices. Use culinary herbs such as basil, rosemary, thyme, and oregano, and spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, mint, sage, and parsley in generous amounts.
Relates SHH post: Tea: Medicine In A Cup
Dry Brush Your Skin
Dry skin brushing has long been a part of Ayurveda’s cleansing philosophies. Your skin is an organ of elimination, just like your kidneys, liver, and colon. Dry skin brushing helps keep the pores clear and the skin active to assist the body in this cleansing process. It also helps to increase blood circulation. Dry brushing exfoliates the skin’s outer layer and stimulates the sweat and oil glands, providing more moisture for the skin.
How to dry skin brush:
- Dry brush first thing in the morning before you shower. Start with light pressure and then move on to firmer strokes.
- Use a natural bristled brush, loofah, or raw silk gloves.
- Start with the soles of your feet using swift upward strokes. Brush from the feet up the legs, working toward your heart.
- Next, move to your hands and work up your arms toward your heart in the same manner.
- Brush your back, as best you can, using a long handle brush.
- Work on your abdomen, moving in a clockwise direction to follow the movement of the colon, then do the chest and neck.
- Avoid dry brushing your face as facial skin is too sensitive.
- Brush for about 3 to 5 minutes until your skin is slightly tingly.
- Shower after you dry brush to wash off the dead skin.
- Periodically wash your brush with warm soap and water.
Related SHH post: Strengthen Your Immune System & Get Your Glow on With Dry Brushing
Using warm dosha-specific oil, perform self-massage or Abhyanga 2 to 3 times a week. Massaging the entire body with warm oil helps improve circulation, activate the lymphatic system, and aid in detoxification. Note that you should only perform self-massage on the days you do not dry brush.
Instead of adopting all five of these practices at once, you can incorporate one per week during the first few weeks of the season. If you take the time to turn each action into a habit, it will be easier to stick with your detox routine throughout the entire year.
Related SHH post: Ear Massage: Holiday De-stresser With Multiple Benefits
Also, I have more health-related resources for you. The first one gives you the opportunity to download literally hundreds of free items…….
The Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Gifts 5 Giveaway
The Healthy, Wealthy & Wise Gifts 5 Giveaway is LIVE and that means it’s time to get your hands on the largest selection of free Health and Wellness Products & Services that you will find anywhere!
Dr. Joe Rubino, Carolyn Hansen & special guest host Curtis Farrar have delivered again with a giveaway event that promises to be the best yet! The line up of gifts include self-help e-books, memberships, videos, audios, software, and e-courses. They’ve assembled the who’s who of Health & Wellness Experts and you’ll be able to grab 1000s of dollars worth of products and services—all geared toward improving all aspects of your health and your life!
Here’s just a small sampling of what’s available:
* Elevator of Recovery Audio Journey – Andrew Golay
* 4 Free Mind Sync Meditation Downloads – Geoff Wilkins
* Unbeatable Confidence Kit – Tim Pond
* Release the Blocks So Creativity Rocks! – Julie Bond Genovese
* 5 Fitness Tips You Wish You Knew – Derek Doepker
* Easy Ways to Boost Your Child’s Self Esteem – Milissa Harding
* Your Journey to Wealth and Well Being – Bonnie Gortler
This event only lasts for a short time, so don’t delay
You can find out more and sign up here.
p.s. I am actually participating in the event myself and offering people a copy of my Free Stuff Guide that contains page after page of links to free resources related to health and wellness, personal development, and conscious living. There’s even a Miscellaneous Section that lists places to go for free astronomy programs, brain games, college courses and more. It may be hard to find in all the 100s of other HW&W gifts being offered, so here’s a direct link to the request page for the guide, in case you’d like a copy. But be sure to sign up for the event so you’ll have access to the 100s of free gifts!
The next resource is Learning Strategies’ Springforest Healing Fest…..
Learning Strategies’ Springforest Healing Fest June 22- 27th
panic attacks, addictions, obsessive/compulsive disorder, hyperactivity, dyslexia
p.s. Be sure to give Self-help Health a follow so you don’t miss out on any future posts. Also check out the To Your Health page at my website Evolution Made Easier and my other blog for more helpful information, tips, tools and resources.
Disclaimer: Please note that any information here is provided as a guideline only, and is not meant to substitute for the advice of your physician, nutritionist, trained healthcare practitioner, and/or inner guidance system. Always consult a professional before undertaking any change to your normal health routine.